St Andrew's Presbterian Church in Inverell
The Presbyterian Church at Inverell began as an outpost to the Wellingrove Church with Rev. Archibald Cameron in 1854. The church at Inverell was first held in the home of Mr and Mrs Colin Ross until 1857 when a timber church building was built on the banks of the Macintyre River. Rev. Cameron continued to minister to the people of Inverell with regular visits from his Wellingrove Parish until 1869. It was then that Inverell became a seperate charge and Rev. Thomas Acheson Gordon became the first minister at Inverell. Rev Gordon served in the church from December 1869 - May 1873.
The current church building (as pictured to the left) was opened for worship in May 1878 after four years of planning and building. The roof was originally wooden shingles but were replaced in 1910 with 'Bangor' slate. In 1880, only two years after the completion of the building rendering work was undertaken on the interior of the building to fill in cracks that had already begaun to appear.
There was further work done of the foundations of the building in 1886 and again in 1927.
The pipe organ was installed in 1927 as a gift in memory of the late Mr P.C. Campbell.
More info can be found in our 100th Anniversay History Book
Below is a timeline of Ministers that have served at Inverell: